AcoustID News and Updates
mbdata 27.1.0 released
Dec 2, 2022
We’ve released a new version of the mbdata package. It includes support for the latest MusicBrainz database schema and also a new command for automatically initializing a database mirror from scratch. Setting up a new database mirror can be now as easy as: pipx install "mbdata[replication]" curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/acoustid/mbdata/main/mbslave.conf.default -o mbslave.conf vim mbslave.conf mbslave init --create-user --create-database mbslave sync In addition to the Python package, we also have a container image with the mbslave tool at ghcr.
Chromaprint 1.5.1 released
Dec 23, 2021
We’ve released a new version of Chromaprint with support for Apple M1 CPUs. There are no changes to the source code. This a binary-only release. You can download it at GitHub .
Data Exports Restored
Mar 26, 2021
Daily JSON data exports are now available on https://data.acoustid.org/. They went down after the major problems on March 3rd. Monthly and yearly aggregates, including full data exports will be available later in Q2 2021. I’ll also try to make sure that we have readily usable tools for importing these data exports into a database.
Postmortem of the March 2, 2021 outage
Mar 5, 2021
On March 2, 2021, we had a large incident that led to the entire acoustid.org infrastructure going down. This will be the first of at least a few posts to explain what happened, how we got to this situation and what will happen in the future? I’ll not sugar-coat it, the most direct cause of the problem was the modern equivalent of the classic rm -rf / as root. With the classic one, you can only delete data from one server.
Chromaprint 1.5 released
Apr 15, 2020
We’ve released a new version of Chromaprint with a few small changes: Added support for fpcalc -raw -signed, which helps with easier PostgreSQL integration Added support for using libavresample instead of libswresample Fixed possible crash in chromaprint_decode_fingerprint Fixed unit tests on big endian CPUs You can download it at GitHub .
Chromaprint 1.4 released
Dec 3, 2016
A new version of Chromaprint has been released. This is a fairly big release I originally intended to call 2.0, but one key feature I was planning to include is not yet finished, so I decided to go with 1.4 instead. So what’s new? The biggest feature is that all components of audio fingerprinting process now work in a streaming fashion and can provide partial results at any time. That means that it’s now possible to feed a continuous audio stream to the process and get back partial fingerprints.
Chromaprint 1.3.2 released
Jul 9, 2016
A new version of Chromaprint has been released. This is a very small bug fix release fixing fpcalc crash on a corrupt file. Changes since version 1.3.1: Fixed crash on an invalid audio file that FFmpeg could not decode. Fixed build on Ubuntu 14.04 with libav. Download: Source code tarball (525 KB) Static binaries for the fpcalc tool Windows, 32-bit (1 MB) Windows, 64-bit (1 MB) Mac OS X, 32-bit, 10.
Chromaprint 1.3.1 released
Feb 10, 2016
A new version of Chromaprint has been released. Changes since version 1.3: Fixed fpcalc -length to actually restrict fingerprints the requested length. Fixed SONAME version for the shared library. Download: Source code tarball (525 KB) Static binaries for the fpcalc tool Windows, 32-bit (1 MB) Windows, 64-bit (1 MB) Mac OS X, 32-bit, 10.4+ (964 KB) Mac OS X, 64-bit, 10.4+ (944 KB) Linux, 32-bit (1 MB) Linux, 64-bit (1 MB)
Chromaprint 1.3 released
Feb 3, 2016
A new version of Chromaprint has been released. This is another small release, there are no changes to the core functionality. Changes since version 1.2: The binary packages have been built with FFmpeg 2.8.6, adding support for DSF files You can use use fpcalc -length 0 to get the full fingerprint New function chromaprint_get_fingerprint_hash for calculating SimHash from the fingerprint data Added info section to the fpcalc executable on Mac OS X Generate .
Five years of AcoustID
Oct 8, 2015
It’s hard to tell the exact date when the AcoustID project started, but if we go by the first entry in the database, it was October 8, 2010. That means project turned five this week! I thought it’s a good opportunity to gather some statistics from those five years. Back in 2010, we were starting from scratch. We had an empty database, while the solution that AcoustID was replacing (MusicDNS/PUID ) had fingerprints for 4.